Last year, there was much talk in regards to the shift towards mCommerce affirming itself as the overriding user device for shoppers, and the discussions it created in the commerce world was unavoidable.
It’s worth noting that if you have an online business that 2016 will see the importance of mobile for retailers really shining through. mCommerce has become integral to business, so much so that Google now explicitly ranks mobile-friendly sites above their non-optimised counterparts.
If this has you wondering what else we learned in 2015, we have 16 more interesting stats you might like to take on board for future reference:
- The retail industry in the UK is losing £6.6bn per year as a result of a lack of investment in mobile services, research by Centre for Retail Research (CRR) and VoucherCodes.co.uk, cite.
- In spite of the fact that retailers reporting shares of mobile sales nearly doubling from 2013 to 2014 alone, 17% (one fifth) still do not have any mobile set up.
- Retailers do, however, acknowledge the importance of mobile retail, with a solid 66% saying investment in mobile would help them increase growth and a resounding 88% believe they will get more visits in store as a result.
- Some 73% of shoppers in the UK have stated they feel they will spend more on mobile in 2016, with 15% now taking advantage of mobile as their primary device for shopping.
- 40% of consumers revealed that they felt the mobile experience could be improved upon.
- 48% of UK millennials said that a substandard mobile experience would make it less likely for them to use a business’s other products. This climbed to 54% on a global scale.
- 31% of UK millennials and 39% of global counterparts reported that a poor service would make them less likely to recommend the company’s products.
- 20% of UK and 27% of global millennials stated it would even give them a negative view of the business’s products, should they experience a bad mobile service.
- A significant 63% of UK millennials like using a mobile app to purchase a company’s product or service, while this number hikes to 73% for their global equivalents.
- 61% of millennials, on a global scale, uploaded media content through their smartphone, ten per cent more than those in the UK.
- Experts have forecasted consumer spending through mobile to exceed £53 billion by 2024.
- Fewer than 3% of retailers believe their business is at the forefront as far as being mobile ready is concerned, with a further 70% declaring they did not currently offer a mobile website or a mobile app for consumers at all!
- As for sales made through apps, they now account for a 33% of all retail spend on mobiles, despite only 10% of retailers offering one.
- 42% of all mobile users are now habitually making payments via their mobile devices.
- Although global mobile payments have surpassed the use of credit and debit cards, one in ten doesn’t believe their banks provide the facilities to bank online.
- Some 27% of consumers plan to use some form of mobile payments in the next 6 months.
Let your Magento eCommerce development cover all bases when you have Media Lounge’s team of professionals on board to optimise you for success. Get in touch today!